Flower power never tasted so good! And these cookies be tastin’ as good as they look! If you’re curious what edible flowers bring to the table, their flavor’s pretty mild. Here we have mixed in pansies, allium, sage flower, basil, and okra flower for a small kick of spice! You’ll get a blast of flavor with every bite – perfect for a delicious snack or an eye-catching appetizer!
- 150g all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 8g matcha powder
- 70g unsalted butter (softened, at room temperature)
- 100 g confectioners’ sugar
- 1 large egg yolks (at room temperature)
- Edible flowers of your choice (Available from local farms)
- First, gently remove the green stems from each edible flower and place them on a sheet of parchment paper with space between each flower. Open a heavy book and place the parchment paper between two pages, then place an additional book or heavy object on top to remove the moisture. Allow to press for 1-2 hours.
- Blend the unsalted butter and confectioners’ sugar until smooth and creamy. As you blend, stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl occasionally.
- Add 2 large egg yolks and mix well until combined.
- Combine the all-purpose flour (plain flour) and matcha powder in a large bowl.Sift the flour and the matcha powder and gradually add the flour and matcha mixture and mix until just combined.
- Transfer the dough onto a sheet of parchment paper. Place a second sheet of parchment paper on top of the dough and roll with a rolling pin to create a ¼-½-inch sheet of dough, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Use a cookie cutter of choice and cut the dough. Then form the excess dough into a ball, roll it out into a sheet again, and cut with the cookie cutter. Continue until all the dough is used. Gently place pressed flowers on each cookie. Alternatively you can also place the flowers on top and roll the dough up front.
- Once the cookie dough is cut and ready to bake, preheat the oven to 150ºC and bake for 15-20 minutes. When done, the edges will be lightly browned. Finally, remove from the oven and let cool.
- Chilling the dough intensifies the flavor of the dough and retains its shape in the oven
- Replace the Matcha powder for a flavor of your choice (e.g. Chocolate powder or Hojicha powder), or completely take it out for classic original flavor
- Feeling organic? Grow your own edible flowers with our Piccolo Seeds Edible Flowers Pack.
For more edible flower intel, dive into the gorgeous guidebook with illuminating info about edible flowers, dazzling photography, easy recipes, and thought-provoking essays on flower-eating by leading voices. Now available at Ellermann as part of our summer capsule #SensorialSummer. And don't forget your Ellermann Utility Apron for all your creative endeavours!